Ever heard of kambak-kambak syndrome?
Previous to our final Puerto Princesa journey, I’d by no means encountered this time period earlier than. You know the way you are likely to return to a vacation spot again and again? It appears to occur lots in Palawan, and so the locals gave it a reputation — kambak-kambak — a tongue-in-cheek spin to “come again, come again”. On condition that our staff have set foot in Puerto Princesa a number of instances over the previous decade, if it have been an actual situation, we most likely had caught it, too!
Whether or not it’s your first time otherwise you’re a kambak-kambak traveler, we’ve put collectively this Puerto Princesa journey information that can assist you plan a hassle-free journey!
WHAT’S COVERED IN THIS GUIDE?
The capital of the province of Palawan, Puerto Princesa is a first-class, extremely urbanized metropolis. However regardless of the fast growth through the years, it retains its rustic and partly suburban vibe; because of the strains of timber and the plush greenery that cowl the world. No surprise it’s usually dubbed “The Metropolis within the Forest” and has been acknowledged as one of many cleanest and greenest cities within the nation.
Strategically positioned in the course of Palawan, it serves as the first gateway to the principle island. Though it might take hours, you would entry as much as El Nido within the northernmost tip or Bataraza within the south, which serves because the soar off level to the legendary Balabac Islands. The town correct faces Sulu Sea to the southeast, however its territory reaches till the West Philippine Sea to the northwest. Puerto Princesa can also be the second largest metropolis within the Philippines, subsequent solely to Davao.
Dubbed because the Eco-Tourism Middle of the Philippines, Puerto Princesa is understood for its organized and synchronized tourism trade. Numerous sectors like tour guides, boat operators, and tricycle drivers work collectively. The excursions are regulated and monitored by the Tourism Workplace, therefore standardized excursions are supplied to vacationers. The preferred is a tour of the Puerto Princesa Underground River, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Web site and voted as one of many New7Wonders of Nature in 2012.
Listed below are some important data that you just would possibly discover helpful to know earlier than going to Puerto Princesa.
Puerto Princesa is open to all vacationers no matter their vaccination standing. We didn’t expertise any doc inspection upon arrival within the metropolis. However airline employees do ask to see the next upon checkin:
- Legitimate ID
- Vaccination card or VaxCertPH (for absolutely vaccinated vacationers)
Nonetheless, in the event you’re coming from a spot underneath Alert Degree 2 or greater, a unfavorable antigen check end result legitimate inside at some point previous to departure is required.
The Puerto Princesa Worldwide Airport (PPS) serves as the principle gateway to town and different municipalities in Palawan. Most home airways — Philippine Airways, Cebu Pacific, AirAsia — have flights to and from Puerto Princesa, so in search of one wouldn’t be an issue.
Puerto Princesa Airport to Metropolis Middle
The Puerto Princesa Worldwide Airport is positioned throughout the metropolis heart. From right here, going to areas throughout the metropolis correct would take solely couple of minutes.
Essentially the most handy mode of transportation from the airport is the tricycle. Tricycles might be discovered parked exterior the airport, ready for passengers. You’ll should stroll a bit to the gate and exit the airport to journey one.
Listed below are the fares from the airport to completely different elements of town. Tricycles can accommodate as much as 3 folks.
- Throughout the metropolis heart: P150
- To San Jose Terminal: P200
- To Honda Bay: P500
When you’re booked with an upscale resort or resort, double verify with the administration first and see if they provide free airport transfers.
A number of lodging are located throughout the metropolis heart, not too removed from the airport. Beachfront motels or resorts are often positioned a bit farther. Staying within the metropolis correct is good if you wish to see extra of town and have quick access to its many eating places and outlets.
High Price range Accommodations & Guesthouses in Puerto Princesa
Listed below are a number of the top-ranking however reasonably priced properties on Agoda with over 100 critiques:
Standard Puerto Princesa Resorts
You probably have an even bigger finances, listed here are a number of the most well-known properties within the metropolis.
Most of the points of interest in Puerto Princesa might be visited as a part of a tour. Though it’s attainable to drag a DIY to save lots of on the prices, reserving a packaged tour will make it extra handy and hassle-free. Whenever you avail of 1, you’ll even have a skilled tour information who can provide you extra data and insights about every spot, permitting you to understand it extra.
On this part, we’ll share with you one of the best points of interest and actions in Puerto Princesa, grouped in line with the excursions that they’re often part of. We’ll embrace prices for each packaged and DIY excursions.
Puerto Princesa Underground River Tour
The town’s most well-known vacationer spot, the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River is a UNESCO World Heritage Web site, a Ramsar Wetland Web site, and one of many New 7 Wonders of Nature.
On a paddle boat, you’ll be led by a information on a journey into the cave that shelters the underground river. The tour covers solely the primary 1.5 kilometers, however the river measures 8.2 kilometers lengthy in full. Some elements are open solely to scientists and different permitted explorers.
Contained in the cave, you will notice gorgeous stalactites, stalagmites and the varied formations that took form for over hundreds of years. You’ll additionally study extra in regards to the cave system by means of the supplied audio information.
You probably have restricted time or finances and will solely avail of 1 packaged tour, this needs to be it. The PPUR administration solely permits a restricted variety of vacationers per day. Due to this, walk-ins should not allowed and superior reservation is required. When you e-book a tour with a journey company or tour operator, they are going to deal with the paperwork for you. You’ll additionally keep away from the difficulty of arranging transportation to Sabang Seaside which is the jump-off level, round one and a half hours away.
Packaged excursions often embrace:
- roundtrip land switch to Sabang Seaside
- roundtrip boat switch to the underground river
- audio information
You might also avail this tour through Klook for P1900. However if in case you have extra time and greater finances, contemplate doing a 3-in-1 Sabang Tour. At P3550, it contains the next:
- Underground River Tour
- Sabang X Zipline
- Mangrove Paddle Tour
Verify up to date charges or e-book under:
✅ BOOK UNDERGROUND RIVER TOUR HERE!
✅ BOOK UNDERGROUND RIVER + SABANG ZIPLINE + MANGROVE PADDLE TOUR!
Honda Bay Tour
Honda Bay Tour is an island hopping exercise that may take you to at the very least three islands not too distant from town. As of this writing, solely 3 islands are open for island hopping excursions: Starfish Island, Luli Island, and Cowrie Island.
When you’re touring with a big group, pulling a DIY may help you save. When you’re touring solo, with a small group otherwise you merely need the comfort of availing a packaged tour, journey companies and motels often provide this tour for P1500 per individual.
When you plan to journey independently, listed here are the charges for personal boats. You’ll see two costs as a result of you could have two boat choices: 3-cylinder and 4-cylinder boats.
- 3 Islands (Starfish, Luli & Cowrie): P1800 to P2100
- 2 Islands (Luli & Cowrie solely): P1500 to P1800
You might also decide to skip the island hopping if in case you have a specific island you wish to go to.
There’s additionally an environmental price that it’s a must to pay on the wharf. Listed below are the charges:
- Environmental price: P150
- Terminal price: P5
- Goggles & snorkel rental: P150
- Full face masks rental: P200
- Aqua footwear rental: P150
- Fins rental: P150
Every island additionally has a separate entrance price and cottage rental charges as effectively. Listed below are the doorway charges per island.
- Cowrie Island: P100
- Luli Island: P70
- Starfish Island: P50
If you wish to keep away from the effort of paying these charges by yourself, you may simply e-book a packaged tour. Honda Bay Excursions are inclusive of land and boat transfers, entrance and cottages charges, and lunch. You might also avail this tour through Klook!
✅ RESERVE A SLOT HERE!
Puerto Princesa Metropolis Tour
This half-day tour might be carried out both within the morning or afternoon. Tour operators often provide this tour for P600 per individual, however you may also constitution a tricycle for P1000 per automobile, which may accommodate as much as 3 folks.
The town tour often contains the next stops:
- Palawan Wildlife Rescue and Conservation Middle. First referred to as Crocodile Farming Institute, it retains and breeds two species of crocodiles: the Philippine crocodile (Crocodylus mindorensis) and the saltwater crocodile (Crocodylus porosus). Rescued animals are additionally housed on this facility, particularly these which can be endemic to the province.
- Plaza Cuartel. A historic sq., Plaza Cuartel was an outdated garrison the place the Palawan Bloodbath happened in December 1944. 100 fifty American prisoners of conflict have been stored in a tunnel throughout World Battle II till they have been killed by the Japanese by burning them alive. Eleven prisoners have been in a position to escape and survive. Their names are actually displayed on a plaque contained in the plaza.
- Binuatan Creations. A present store the place you should purchase handloom woven merchandise created from Palawan’s native grasses and fibers. Other than buying, you may also see how the merchandise are made of their workshop and even strive weaving your self!
- Mitra’s Ranch. This property sitting on high of a hill in Brgy. Sta. Monica is owned by the late Senator Ramon Mitra and his household. It’s open to the general public and serves as a viewpoint.
- Baker’s Hill. Standard for his or her hopia and different pastries, that is the standard pasalubong cease! It’s additionally a park with many picture-worthy corners and has an in-house restaurant if you wish to seize a chunk.
If you wish to have a extra snug tour in an air-conditioned van, you may avail this tour on Klook.
✅ RESERVE A SLOT HERE!
Firefly Watching Tour
Spend a magical night time and watch fireflies and the celebs whereas on board a small boat. There are three areas for firefly watching in Puerto Princesa:
- Iwahig. The primary firefly watching location in Puerto Princesa. As of writing, that is closed and firefly watching excursions listed here are unavailable.
- Sicsican River. The tour commences on the Baywalk, the place you’ll hop on a ship that may take you to Sicsican River. A dinner on the boat can also be included on this tour.
- Nagsaguipi River. Take pleasure in a buffet dinner earlier than you feast your eyes with the glowing fireflies!
Tour operators provide this tour between P1300- P1600 per individual. Firefly watching tour in Nagsaguipi River can also be accessible on Klook.
✅ JOIN FIREFLY WATCHING TOUR!
Lower than an hour away from town correct, Nagtabon Seaside was a spot for individuals who wish to keep away from the group. Now, numerous lodging institutions stand alongside the seaside, however the place stays simply as breathtaking. This can be a good place to go to in the event you’re trying to spend extra time on the seaside with out having to journey too distant from town.
Make your technique to San Jose terminal and hop on a bus going north. Any bus certain for Taytay, Roxas, or El Nido will do. Inform the motive force to drop you off in Bacungan (P80) then journey a tricycle going to Nagtabon Seaside (P300, max 3 pax).
When you’re a gaggle, you may hire a van to take you straight to Nagtabon. When you can drive two wheels, renting a motorcycle can also be an possibility if there are two of you otherwise you’re touring solo.
Nagtabon Seaside can be included in your Puerto Princesa Metropolis Tour itinerary for a further price. Simply ask your driver if he’s OK with it.
Thrill-seekers will love this attraction. This 800-meter lengthy zipline is alleged to be one of many longest ziplines within the Philippines. You possibly can get pleasure from this solo or by pair as you glide throughout Sabang Seaside. The journey would additionally deal with you to a implausible view of Sabang from above. It takes a brief 15-minute hike to succeed in the zipline’s place to begin.
That is often packaged with Underground River since Sabang additionally serves because the jump-off level to it. You are able to do this previous to the underground river cease if there’s an extended ready time or after it simply earlier than you could have lunch. Sabang X-Zipline prices P550.
You might also avail this through Klook for a reduced worth.
✅ GET DISCOUNTED TICKET HERE!
Different Puerto Princesa Points of interest
Ugong Rock Adventures. An journey park positioned in Barangay Tagabinet the place you may go trekking, rappeling, and spelunking. A 71-meter zipline can also be one of many options, making your journey extra unforgettable. Ebook right here! ✅
Palawan Waterpark by Astoria. That is the one waterpark in Palawan. When you’re in search of an exercise that children and children at coronary heart alike would get pleasure from, add this to your itinerary. Every ticket is inclusive of a lunch buffet. Price: Adults, P1200; Children (4ft and under), P950; Children (2 years outdated and under), FREE
Tibag Falls. About 40 minutes away from town heart, Tibag Falls is positioned in Bacungan. To get right here, board a bus going north at San Jose Terminal. Ask the motive force to drop you off close to Bacungan Bridge. From there, it could take a 2-hour stroll to succeed in this superb falls.
Discovering a spot to eat in Puerto Princesa won’t be an issue. The town heart is teeming with a various assortment of meals spots. If you wish to strive the Puerto Princesa classics, a couple of of them are positioned alongside Rizal Avenue.
When you’re on a finances, you may all the time depend on carinderias (small eateries) the place a P100-budget can get you a full meal.
Listed below are a number of the most well-known eating places in Puerto Princesa:
Arguably the preferred eating spot in Puerto Princesa, this homey restaurant makes a speciality of Pinoy seafood dishes like seafood kare-kare, grilled fish, and shrimp or tuna sinigang. Their menu consists largely of seafood and greens dishes. Additionally they have a particular set meal that’s good for 2 for less than P795. When you’re planning to dine right here, ensure that to name the restaurant and make a reservation.
Location: Rizal Avenue, Puerto Princesa Metropolis
Working Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM – Lunch, 6:00 PM to 11:00 PM – Dinner; Sunda, CLOSED
Contact quantity: (048) 726 6217
Kinabuch’s is an open-air grill and bar the place you may get pleasure from some drinks together with your meal. Their menu has all kinds of Pinoy dishes from appetizers to dessert. It’s additionally a go-to place for individuals who wish to strive Puerto Princesa’s unique dish, tamilok. It’s often served uncooked with a aspect of spiced vinegar.
Location: Rizal Avenue, Puerto Princesa Metropolis
Working Hours: Every day, 4:00 PM to 11:00 PM
Cacaoyan Forest Park
Cacaoyan Forest Park is a buffet restaurant set in a lush backyard bursting with IG-worthy spots. It serves as a lunch cease on many Underground River excursions supplied by journey companies. However if you wish to expertise this by itself, finest to make advance reservations.
The lunch buffet is priced at P350/individual, however you may get a reduction in the event you e-book with Klook.
✅ GET DISCOUNTS HERE!
Location: Sabang, Puerto Princesa
Working Hours: Every day, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
You can too order tamilok right here for P100 per plate.
Different Puerto Princesa Eating places
- Badjao Seafront Restaurant. If you wish to dine by the bay and feast on recent seafood, that is the place to be. It stands subsequent to mangroves and has a view of the sundown which provides to its attraction. Worth begins at P125 as much as P550. Their seafood platter prices P1,150.
– Location: Abueg St., Puerto Princesa Metropolis
– Working hours: Every day, 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM
- Balinsasayaw Restaurant. A budget-friendly restaurant serving low-cost to mid-range Pinoy dishes. Their worth meals prices lower than P200. When you’re with a gaggle, in addition they have group meals you can avail.
– Deal with: Manalo St., Puerto Princesa Metropolis
– Working Hours: Every day, 10:00 AM to eight:00 PM
- Ka Joel’s Restaurant. One other dependable identify within the metropolis’s meals scene, Ka Joel’s serves Filipino delicacies. Its bestsellers embrace rooster inasal and beef kare kare.
– Location: Purok Centro, Puerto Princesa Metropolis
– Working Hours: Every day, 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM- Lunch, 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM- Dinner
For loaded vacationers, large motels have their in-house eating places that spotlight their tackle Filipino delicacies.
- Hue Resort homes Matiz Restaurant and Tapas Bar, which boasts a largely Spanish menu.
- Princesa Backyard Island Resort and Spa has a eating advanced that includes 4 eating places together with the Golden Elephant Seafood Village, which makes a speciality of Thai meals.
Right here’s a pattern 3-day 2-night Puerto Princesa itinerary with breakdown of bills. Be aware that this itinerary assumes the next:
- You’re a celebration of two, splitting a number of the prices.
- The lodging you’ll e-book prices P1500 per night time. When you cut up it between 2 folks, that may be P750 per night time per individual.
- You’ll e-book a lot of the excursions through Klook.
However as all the time, be happy to make changes primarily based in your schedule and preferences.
- DAY 1: CITY TOUR
08:20 AM – Arrival in Puerto Princesa
09:00 AM – Tricycle to resort, P75 (P150/2pax)
09:20 AM – Resort check-in
11:00 AM – Early lunch
12:30 PM – Metropolis Tour (Tricycle), P500 (P1000/2pax)
– Crocodile Park: P70
– Butterfly Backyard: P60
– Mitra’s Ranch: P20
04:00 PM – Resort, clean up
06:00 PM – Dinner at Ka Lui, P500
09:30 PM – Again to resort
- DAY 2: UNDERGROUND RIVER
06:00 AM – Get up name
07:00 AM – Underground River Tour, P1900, Ebook right here! ✅
04:00 PM – Again to resort, Relaxation
07:00 PM – Dinner at Kinabuch’s, P500
10:00 PM – Again to resort
- DAY 3: HONDA BAY TOUR
6:00 am – Get up, early check-out, depart luggage
7:00 am – Honday Bay Tour, P1640, Ebook right here! ✅
2:00 pm – Again to resort, decide up luggage
3:00 pm – Tricycle to airport, P75 (P150/2pax)
5:30 pm – Flight again to Manila
This itinerary would value you round PhP 5700 (USD 103, EUR 96, SGD 139), excluding airfare and resort however together with a little bit of allowance for incidental bills.
When you’re in a position to e-book a room for P1400/night time or P700/night time/individual, put together to shell out a complete of PhP 7,100 (USD 128, EUR 120, SGD 172) excluding airfare however together with some allowance.
You possibly can carry the price even decrease in the event you’re an even bigger group and by doing the Honda Bay Tour by yourself (DIY-style).
- Tricycle fare for brief distances is round P15-25. Fares to and for the airport often value greater than the common fares.
- Stroll when you may. The streets of Puerto Princesa are punctuated with timber so it doesn’t get as scorching as different extremely urbanized cities.
- Convey your personal reusable water bottle, so that you don’t have to preserve shopping for bottled water. Doing it will make it easier to lower your expenses and scale back plastic waste on the identical time. You possibly can simply refill your water bottle at your resort or at your lunch/dinner stops.
- Convey insect repellent lotion. Shield your self from mosquitoes by making use of insect repellent lotion particularly if you go trekking or island hopping.
- Use coral-friendly sunscreen. Keep away from utilizing sunscreen that incorporates substances that might hurt the coral reef like oxybenzone and parabens.
When is one of the best time to go to Puerto Princesa?
January to April, the driest interval. However needless to say these are additionally the busiest months, peaking in March and April, that are thought-about “summer season” months within the Philippines.
If you wish to keep away from the group, schedule a visit round January to February when the climate is just not too scorching and never that wet both. But, it is usually necessary to notice that Palawan is in between two main seas, the West Philippine Sea and the Sulu Sea. Its location extremely impacts its climate system, which is completely different from the remainder of the nation. Even through the dry season, it could possibly be fairly damp and rain is anticipated within the afternoons. Actually, our staff have visited in April as soon as and it nonetheless poured on a few days. And even in our different visits in different months, it could usually rain within the afternoon.
Puerto Princesa is a year-round vacation spot. Whereas town took a beating from Storm Odette a couple of years in the past, this isn’t a traditional prevalence. Palawan is positioned within the western excessive of the nation, remoted from most different essential islands. It isn’t alongside the standard storm route.
What’s the energy plug/socket utilized in Puerto Princesa?
Electrical energy Data: 220V, 60Hz. Socket Kind A, largely.