Luscious and creamy, this tomato bisque recipe appears to be like tremendous fancy however is kind of simple to make. Filled with tomatoes, heavy cream, cheese, and herbs, it’s an ideal soup recipe for particular events.
The Finest Tomato Bisque Recipe
Regardless of the frilly title, this creamy tomato bisque is a leveled-up tomato soup that’s pure do-it-yourself consolation meals. It’s full of canned tomatoes for the very best taste but in addition to maintain you from standing over the range for hours. With entire milk and heavy cream, it’s a luscious bowl of pink tomatoey goodness. That is one in every of my favourite soup recipes for particular events, like the vacations or a date evening!
If I needed to summarize the preparation of this recipe in 2 phrases, they’d be “mix” and “simmer.” That’s how easy this bisque is! Don’t let it idiot you, although. It’s acquired an incredible taste base with garlic, shallots, dried herbs, and all types of tomatoes and herbs.
A little bit of melted parmesan cheese brings the whole lot collectively and makes every bowl worthy of a elaborate restaurant. Better of all, you didn’t have to depart your kitchen. Topped with croutons or roasted pine nuts, it’s a heavenly creamy bisque excellent for particular events.
What’s The Distinction Between Tomato Bisque and Tomato Soup?
Bisques are a conventional French preparation made with a shellfish fond (broth). They’re creamy soups, so the time period “bisque” has modified over time to permit heavy cream and milk to switch the seafood fond interchangeably.
Tomato soup’s main liquid is vegetable or hen broth, whereas tomato bisque is made with a dairy product like milk and/or heavy cream. Thus, bisque is sort of a thickened, creamy preparation of tomato soup. Nevertheless, flavor-wise they’re very comparable. For an easier Tomato Soup, get my recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup.
It’s time to interrupt out all types of tomato merchandise! Test the recipe card for the complete ingredient quantities for this creamy tomato bisque.
- Salted butter – It’s also possible to use unsalted however you’ll want to regulate the quantity of salt within the recipe.
- Yellow onion – No white or pink onion.
- Garlic – Swap it out for 3 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder if wanted,
- Shallots – When you can’t discover any, substitute it for two extra garlic cloves.
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Tomato paste
- Solar-dried tomatoes – You possibly can go away them out however they intensify the tomatoey goodness.
- Purple pepper flakes – Depart them out if you happen to don’t need the bisque to have a spicy kick.
- Canned fire-roasted crushed tomatoes – Be happy to make use of common canned crushed tomatoes.
- Canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes – Common canned diced tomatoes work too.
- Low-sodium hen broth – When you use the common type, alter the quantity of salt within the recipe.
- Cornstarch – You possibly can go away it out nevertheless it helps the bisque thicken.
- Heavy whipping cream – Half and half works too.
- Entire milk – Low-fat milk works too. Please no plant-based milk.
- Parmesan cheese – Solely use the actual stuff.
- Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Granulated sugar – Solely use white sugar for this.
What tomatoes are finest for tomato bisque?
Whereas there are completely different sorts of tomato-based merchandise on this recipe, canned tomatoes are the very best ones as a result of they’re the primary supply of taste. Think about the tomato paste and sun-dried tomatoes as taste enhancers solely.
Whilst you can technically use recent tomatoes and prepare dinner them down, it requires tons extra cooking time, and the result’s just like what you’d get utilizing high-quality canned tomatoes.
Make Creamy Tomato Bisque
There’s an entire lot of mixing concerned on this creamy tomato bisque, so it’s simpler than it sounds.
- Cook dinner the onion. Soften the butter in a big pot over medium warmth. Add the onion and stir effectively. Let it prepare dinner for 4-6 minutes or till softened. Add the garlic, shallot, basil, oregano, tomato paste, sun-dried tomatoes, and pink pepper flakes. Combine effectively and let it prepare dinner for an additional 2-3 minutes. The tomato paste ought to have modified shade from a vibrant pink to a darker hue.
- Mix the onions. Add the onion combination to the blender. Course of till you get a clean combination. Pour it again into the pot.
- Mix the tomatoes. Add the crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes to the blender. Course of till you get a clean combination. Pour the blended tomatoes into the pot. Combine effectively to mix.
- Add the broth. Gently stir the broth into the pot and let it come to a simmer over medium warmth.
- Make the slurry. Whisk the cornstarch and heavy whipping cream in a small bowl. Pour it into the pot and blend. Add the milk and stir till fully mixed. Don’t skip this step, in any other case, your bisque gained’t be fairly as thick and creamy.
- Add the parmesan. Toss the parmesan into the pot and blend till fully dissolved. It ought to take round 6 to eight minutes. Add the bay leaves. Scale back the warmth to low and let the soup simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Season. Add salt, pepper, and sugar to style. Stir effectively and take away the soup from the warmth. Serve heat. I do know the sugar sounds counterintuitive, however don’t skip it. It helps stability the soup’s acidity.
Ideas & Topping Concepts
Comply with the following tips for the simplest, most luxurious bisque ever:
- Make it richer. Substitute the entire milk with heavy cream for a extra decadent, thicker tomato bisque.
- Use roasted garlic. Swap the garlic for roasted garlic and take the bisque to the following stage.
- Use Italian seasoning. Substitute the dried basil and oregano with 1 1/2 teaspoons of store-bought Italian seasoning.
This creamy tomato bisque could be jazzed up much more with easy toppings. Right here’s some inspiration:
- High with croutons. As soon as served, high the soup along with your favourite croutons for a crunchy chunk.
- Add roasted nuts. Add 1 tablespoon of roughly chopped walnuts or pine nuts per serving to a pan over low warmth. Pan-roast them, shaking the pan repeatedly, for 6-7 minutes or till aromatic. Use them as a garnish in your soup.
- Swirl in cream. Swirl in 1 tablespoon of heavy cream in each bowl for a bit extra creaminess and an additional fancy look.
What to Serve With Tomato Soup
A creamy tomato bisque and grilled cheese sandwiches are a match made in heaven. Since this bisque is further particular, although, I like to recommend placing a bit extra love into your sandwiches too. My Lasagna Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich are excellent for this.
Dipping in do-it-yourself breadsticks or Entire Wheat Focaccia Bread is a unbelievable approach to get pleasure from this soup.
When you’re on the lookout for extra protein-packed dishes, strive my Steak and Mushrooms Foil Packs, Oven Grilled Steak, and Bruschetta Stuffed Hen Breasts.
Retailer & Reheat Leftovers
- Refrigerate any cooled leftovers of this creamy tomato bisque in an hermetic container for as much as 5 days.
- Reheat it within the microwave for 1 minute, stir it, after which warmth it for an additional 1 to 2 minutes or till heat. It’s also possible to warmth it in a pot over medium-low warmth for five to 7 minutes, stirring sometimes.
Can I Freeze Bisque?
- Sure, solely you’ll want to depart out the heavy cream, cornstarch, and milk. These are likely to separate from the soup throughout freezing, and it’s arduous to reincorporate the soup even after thawing, so don’t add them in if you happen to’re going to freeze it.
- As an alternative, pour the absolutely cooled dairy-free bisque right into a freezer-friendly bag or container and freeze for as much as 6 months.
- Thaw it within the fridge a day earlier than serving.
- Reheat it in a pot and stir within the heavy cream-cornstarch slurry and milk. Let it simmer for quarter-hour over low warmth, stirring sometimes, earlier than serving.
Extra Simple Soup Recipes
Soften the butter in a big pot or Dutch oven set over medium warmth.
Add the onion and stir effectively. Let it prepare dinner for 4 to five minutes or till softened.
Add the garlic, shallot, basil, oregano, tomato paste, sun-dried tomatoes, and pink pepper flakes. Combine effectively and let it prepare dinner for an additional 2 to three minutes.
Add the onion combination to the blender. Course of till you get a clean combination. Pour it again into the pot.
Add the crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes to the blender. Course of till you get a clean combination. Pour the blended tomatoes into the pot.
Gently stir the broth into the pot and let it come to a simmer over medium warmth.
Whisk the cornstarch and heavy whipping cream in a small bowl. Pour it into the pot and blend. Add within the milk and stir till completely mixed.
Toss the parmesan into the pot and stir till fully melted and clean, about 6 minutes. Add the bay leaves. Scale back the warmth to low and let the soup simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, and sugar to style. Stir effectively and take away the soup from the warmth.
Ladle soup into bowls and serve heat.
- Bisque: It’s simply a chic French title for crayfish soup, truly, however in latest instances, now we have began to make use of the phrase ‘bisque’ so to outline thick and creamy soups.
- Tomatoes: As a result of it’s winter and since it’s simpler, I prefer to make this soup with canned tomatoes, together with fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and some sun-dried tomatoes. When you’d like to make use of recent tomatoes, I recommend roasting them and persevering with with the soup recipe.
Serving: 12 g | Energy: 308 kcal | Carbohydrates: 29 g | Protein: 11 g | Fats: 19 g | Saturated Fats: 11 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 1 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 5 g | Trans Fats: 0.2 g | Ldl cholesterol: 53 mg | Sodium: 724 mg | Potassium: 1071 mg | Fiber: 6 g | Sugar: 18 g | Vitamin A: 1356 IU | Vitamin C: 36 mg | Calcium: 291 mg | Iron: 5 mg | Web Carbs: 23 g
Dietary data is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might fluctuate based on the elements and instruments used. Please use your most popular dietary calculator for extra detailed data.