In the event you’re searching for a particular recipe—for a vacation, romantic dinner, social gathering, or Sunday night time household meal—then this vegan puff pastry recipe for Mini Curried Lentil Wellingtons is the one. I first created this puff pastry recipe for a New 12 months’s Eve social gathering a couple of years in the past, and I’ve been having fun with it ever since. In truth, folks inform me that they make it for his or her vacation desk! This Wellington recipe is a basic!
This Wellington recipe is the proper elegant entrée, with its savory, fragrant lentil vegetable filling encased in layers of crisp puff pastry (I exploit frozen puff pastry). And these mini, particular person, hand-held Wellingtons are additionally actually scrumptious as an appetizer or a complicated “sandwich” at a picnic or out of doors occasion (LA people, suppose Hollywood Bowl!). You can also make them upfront and eat them chilly, or simply heat them up within the oven previous to consuming. I like to serve this recipe with a sweet-tart fruity sauce, reminiscent of my Pomegranate Mandarin Sauce, pictured under.
What’s puff pastry?
It’s a mild, flaky pastry produce constructed from layers of dough and butter. If you bake it, the dough puffs up and will get golden, crisp, and scrumptious. Whereas many puff pastries are non-vegan, as a result of they include butter, you could find a wide range of frozen puff pastry merchandise which might be vegan. Whereas most puff pastry accommodates gluten, you could find a couple of manufacturers which might be gluten-free. Simply learn the labels.
Observe together with my step-by-step information on how you can make these vegan wellingtons. They appear loads more durable to make than they are surely, which means they may impress everybody at your desk!
Watch me make this recipe on Instagram right here.
This vegan recipe for Mini Curried Lentil Wellingtons, every a crisp particular person puff pastry stuffed with a scrumptious mix of lentils and spices, is nice as an appetizer, entrée, vacation function, or subtle hand-held sandwich at a picnic.
Curried Lentil Filling:
- 1 package deal (1 pound 1.5 ounces; 8 5×5-inch squares) vegan puff pastry dough squares, defrosted (in case you can’t discover squares, strive sheets and slice them into about 5×5-inch squares)
- Water, as wanted
- 2 tablespoons plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened
- In a big skillet, warmth olive oil.
- Sauté onion and garlic for 4 minutes.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, peas, curry powder, and black pepper and sauté for an extra 5 minutes, stirring incessantly.
- Add lentils and vegetable broth, stirring to mix. Cowl, and let simmer for about quarter-hour, stirring often. Then take away lid and permit to simmer for an additional quarter-hour, till liquid is absorbed, and lentils are tender however not mushy. Alter moisture as wanted by including water if an excessive amount of is misplaced to evaporation throughout cooking. Ought to obtain a moist texture, with no residual liquid.
- Stir walnuts into combination and take away from range.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Put together pastry by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out 8 puff pastry squares evenly over the baking sheet.
- Fill the middle of every pastry sq. with ¼ cup of filling.
- Fold excessive fringe of the pastry to line up with the underside edge, forming a triangle.
- Utilizing a pastry brush in a small dish of water, moisten the underside fringe of the pastry.
- Utilizing a fork, safe the highest edge to the underside fringe of the pastry by urgent with the fork across the complete edge.
- Place plant-based milk in a small dish. Dip the pastry brush into the plant-based milk and moisten the floor of the pastries with the comb.
- Place within the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes till golden brown.
- Take away and luxuriate in!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Class: Dinner
- Delicacies: American
Key phrases: vegan wellington, wellington, vegan entree
For different plant-based entrees, try a few of my favorites:
Veggie Shepherd’s Pie
Pink Bean and Okra Jambalaya
Cauliflower Spinach Lasagna
Stuffed Squash with Sage Lentils and Wheat
Vegan Mac and Cheese with Peas
This submit might include affiliate hyperlinks. For extra info, click on right here.