This roasted broccoli quinoa salad is loaded with taste as nicely and antioxidants. Made with roasted broccoli, quinoa, and a easy orange French dressing that brings every part collectively. It’s the right wholesome aspect dish for Thanksgiving or vacation potlucks.
Because the temperature drops, I’m now not within the temper for my standard lettuce based mostly salads so I flip to grain salads or roasted vegetable ones. This roasted broccoli quinoa salad is the right mixture of savory and candy since you might have roasted broccoli paired with a easy orange French dressing. I hope you like it as a lot as I do!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Nice for meal prep! The flavors on this salad marinate if you retailer it within the fridge so it will get even higher because the week goes alongside.
- The proper aspect dish. This salad is a superb aspect choice for all types of important dishes.
- A terrific choice for Thanksgiving dinner or vacation gatherings. Salad doesn’t need to be an afterthought- this scrumptious broccoli salad could be a star on any vacation desk.
- This salad is definitely adaptable in order that it may be vegan, dairy free, and nut free. As written, this recipe is gluten free and egg free.
Elements You’ll Want
- Broccoli: broccoli will get roasted at excessive warmth till it’s good and crisp for this scrumptious quinoa salad. Attempt to chop your broccoli into comparable dimension items in order that it cooks evenly.
- Quinoa: Love utilizing quinoa in salads like this one since it’s such a fantastic supply of plant-based protein. You may as well use a complete grain like farro or barley as an alternative of quinoa should you want.
- Orange: Provides a touch of sweetness to stability out the earthy flavors from the broccoli. You may as well use lemon if the dressing as an alternative of orange for a extra tart salad.
- White Wine Vinegar: White wine vinegar pairs nicely with the orange within the dressing. Nonetheless, you may as well use purple wine vinegar as an alternative.
- Almonds: Roasted unsalted almonds add a pleasant little bit of crunch/texture to this salad. If you happen to don’t have almonds, you would additionally use unsalted pistachios, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, or sesame seeds.
- Pomegranate: I really like including pomegranate to salads within the fall/winter as a result of I simply love their sweet-tart taste and crunch. As an alternative of pomegranate, you should use dried cranberries.
- Goat Cheese: Love the creaminess that a bit of little bit of goat cheese provides to salads like this one. If you wish to make this vegan/dairy-free, you may as well use this vegan feta cheese as an alternative.
The way to Make this Salad
STEP 1: Preheat the oven to 400 levels. Toss the broccoli in olive oil and unfold right into a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-Half-hour or till calmly charred and tender.
STEP 2: Whereas the broccoli roasts within the oven, make your quinoa by including rinsed quinoa to a small saucepan with broth. (You may as well use water or 50/50 broth and water). Carry to a simmer after which cowl. Prepare dinner for quarter-hour or till liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
STEP 3: Make the orange French dressing by including all of the dressing components (olive oil, vinegar, orange juice, dijon mustard, maple, orange zest, salt, and pepper) to a small mixing bowl. Whisk collectively till mixed.
STEP 5: Permit the broccoli and quinoa to chill for a couple of minutes after which mix all of the salad components collectively in a big bowl. Toss nicely with a wood spoon to coat every part in dressing. Serve heat or chilled.
Quinoa Cooking Ideas
- Be sure to rinse your quinoa with chilly water earlier than cooking. Quinoa has a pure coating referred to as saponin which might style bitter/soapy and must be be rinsed off earlier than cooking.
- To rinse, add quinoa to a superb mesh strainer and rinse nicely below chilly working water.
- Use 2 cups of cooking liquid to each 1 cup of quinoa. Use broth because the cooking liquid for added taste. Typically, I’ll do a mix of water and broth.
- After cooking, go away the quinoa to sit down within the pot lined with the lid for five minutes after which fluff with a fork.
Storage and Make Forward
- Make Forward: Chop the broccoli advance if you wish to save time on prep. You may as well roast the broccoli as much as 3 days earlier than making this salad, however it gained’t be as crisp as freshly roasted broccoli. You may as well cook dinner the quinoa as much as 3 days upfront and retailer within the fridge till you might be able to make this salad. The dressing may also be prepped upfront and saved within the fridge in a mason jar.
- Storage: Retailer cooled salad in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 3-4 days.
Regularly Requested Questions
Sure! You possibly can roast frozen broccoli for this recipe in a pinch, however it does style a bit of higher with contemporary broccoli. Take a look at this submit for useful suggestions for roasting frozen broccoli.
Because of all of the fiber and plant-based protein from the quinoa, this salad is filling sufficient to be a meal by itself. I really like packing this one for lunch at work. When serving with a meal, we prefer to pair it with a plant-based sausage like Discipline Roast or a soup like this crockpot minestrone.
Sure! Quinoa is of course gluten free and is a superb supply of plant-based protein. One cup of cooked quinoa has 8 grams of full protein because it consists of all 8 important amino acids.
Extra Scrumptious Salads Recipes You’ll Love
Roasted Broccoli Quinoa Salad
This roasted broccoli quinoa salad is loaded with taste as nicely and antioxidants! It’s the right wholesome aspect dish for Thanksgiving or vacation potlucks.
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
For the Roasted Broccoli
- 6 cups chopped broccoli ~1 massive head
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth or water
Different Salad Elements
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- ½ cup chopped roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon floor black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small oranges, juiced (about 3-4 tablespoons juice)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon floor black pepper
Roasted Broccoli Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 levels.
Toss broccoli and olive oil collectively in a bowl and switch to a baking sheet. Bake for 25-Half-hour or till tender and browned on the sides. Put aside.
In a big mixing bowl, add the broccoli, quinoa, pomegranate seeds, almonds, orange zest, salt and pepper.
- Substitute for White Wine Vinegar: you should use purple wine vinegar as an alternative should you’d like.
- Substitute for Pomegranate: you should use dried cranberries as an alternative of pomegranate.
- Serving: This salad is filling sufficient to function a important dish salad for lunch or a smaller portion as a aspect.
- Storage: salad will be saved within the fridge for as much as 3-4 days.
- Make Forward: make broccoli, dressing, and/or the quinoa as much as 3 days upfront. You may as well pre-chop the broccoli to scale back prep time if you go to make this salad.
- Make it vegan/dairy free: Skip the goat cheese or use a non-dairy feta (like VioLife) as an alternative.
- Make it nut free: Skip the almonds. You should use pumpkin seeds or sunflower as an alternative of almonds if desired.
Serving: 1/5 recipe | Energy: 484kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 15g | Fats: 29g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 5g | Monounsaturated Fats: 18g | Trans Fats: 0.002g | Ldl cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 221mg | Potassium: 905mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1153IU | Vitamin C: 161mg | Calcium: 167mg | Iron: 4mg