Commerce in your conventional greens based mostly salad for this hearty vegetarian roasted cauliflower, feta, and lentil salad with a easy lemon French dressing. This salad is hearty sufficient for a packable lunch for work or a flavorful facet dish.
Colder days are right here and it’s time to swap up your salad sport. Belief me, I like a great lettuce-based salad however as of late I’m craving one thing heartier. This roasted cauliflower, feta, and lentil salad is simply the factor!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Easy elements – cauliflower, lentils, feta, recent herbs, and some pantry spices make this a salad value making repeatedly.
- Nice for meal prep. Not like lettuce based mostly salads, this roasted cauliflower salad holds up effectively within the fridge for as much as 3-4 days. Actually, it usually tastes even higher the following day!
- Good for lunch – both within the workplace or at dwelling. In the course of the fall and winter, that is one in all my favourite salads for packing.
- This recipe is nice for anybody with allergy symptoms or restrictions since it’s: vegetarian, gluten-free, and egg-free. Skip the feta or use a non-dairy crumbled cheese to simply make this recipe vegan and dairy-free!
Ingredient Notes and Substitutions
- Cauliflower: Cauliflower makes the right base for this scrumptious salad because it has a gentle taste that pairs effectively with the mediterranean spices on this recipe. For enjoyable, use a colourful cauliflower like inexperienced, yellow, or purple so as to add extra shade to the dish. (I used a yellow one within the pictures for this put up.)
- Lentils: Embody a protein like lentils in your salad to make them extra filling. For those who don’t like lentils, you could possibly additionally use canned chickpeas or white beans for this salad.
- Broth: Provides extra taste to the cooked lentils, however you should use simply water.
- Parsley & Mint: Love the freshness that herbs like parsley and mint add to salads like this one.
- Spices (Cumin/Garlic/Onion/Smoked Paprika): Add these spices to the cauliflower earlier than roasting to infuse this salad with tons of taste. The cumin pairs particularly effectively with the opposite components of this salad like lemon, mint, and feta.
- Lemon: Use recent lemon juice and zest to infuse the straightforward dressing for this salad with tons of taste.
- Almonds: I like including some nuts for crunch and almonds had been an incredible possibility for this salad. You may additionally use walnuts, pistachios, or pumpkin seeds.
- Feta Cheese: Provides some creaminess and pairs effectively with the cumin and mint. The salad is simply as scrumptious when you go away it out. You may additionally substitute the feta for a vegan possibility like this vegan feta.
Find out how to Make this Roasted Cauliflower Salad
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 400 levels Fahrenheit and assemble your whole elements.
STEP 2: Add your chopped cauliflower to a big mixing bowl and add the spices (cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper). Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat the cauliflower. Switch to a baking sheet and unfold into single layer. Bake for 25-Half-hour or till golden brown and tender.
STEP 3: Whereas the cauliflower roasts, add the lentils and broth to a small saucepan over medium warmth. Convey to a simmer and canopy with lid. Simmer for 13-Quarter-hour or till lentils are tender and broth has been absorbed.
STEP 4: Add the salad dressing elements to a mason jar and shake to mix.
STEP 5: Mix the roasted cauliflower, cooked lentils, feta cheese (if utilizing), pomegranate, and chopped herbs (parsley and mint) in a big bowl. Style and season with extra salt and pepper as wanted. Serve heat or chilled.
Though it could look fancy, this salad isn’t actually that sophisticated to make! Listed below are just a few of my suggestions for ensuring your salad tastes nice.
- Don’t overcook your lentils. As soon as your lentils are simmering, don’t simply set a timer for Quarter-hour and overlook about them! I begin tasting a pair lentils on the 12 and 15 minute mark to see if they’re getting mushy. Because you need your lentils to carry collectively within the salad, it’s best to err on the facet of rather less cooked/chewy.
- Additionally, don’t simply cook dinner your lentils till the liquid is cooked off! Typically they’ll get too mushy at that time. In case your lentils are achieved, merely drain off any additional broth earlier than utilizing them on this salad.
- Roasting tip – don’t like your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat. I do know, it makes clear up simpler however you get a a lot nicer char/crisp on the cauliflower when it has direct contact with the pan whereas roasting.
Why is This Salad Good For You?
- Cauliflower: Although cauliflower isn’t as colourful as different fruit and veggies doesn’t imply it isn’t as nutrient dense! Cauliflower is an efficient supply of vitamin C, folate, vitamin Ok, and vitamin B6. Additionally, like different cruciferous greens it’s excessive glucosinolates that are sulfur containing compounds that present well being advantages. For instance, larger intakes of cruciferous greens have been linked to decrease threat of many cancers and researchers suspect it could be partly because of the antioxidant properties of the glucosinolates.
- Lentils: Lentils are an incredible supply of plant-based protein. Actually, one cup of cooked lentils gives 14 grams of protein. Legumes are additionally an incredible supply of fiber with about 16 grams per 1 cup serving. Along with fiber and protein, lentils are additionally an incredible supply of iron, vitamin B6 and magnesium. Many People don’t get sufficient magnesium of their food regimen which is necessary to notice since magnesium deficiency has been related to heart problems, osteoporosis, hypertension, and diabetes. Recurrently incorporating meals which can be excessive in magnesium in your food regimen like lentils will enable you to meet the really useful consumption for magnesium.
- Pomegranate: Pomegranate is excessive in anthocyanins, the kind of antioxidants present in purple fruit and veggies. Consuming a food regimen excessive in antioxidant wealthy meals could assist shield mind cells from injury as you age. A 1/2 cup serving of pomegranate arils has 72 energy, 3.5 grams of fiber, and 1 gram of protein.
- Almonds: Almonds are a great supply of fiber, vitamin E, calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. Although almonds are calorie-dense, analysis has not related elevated almond/nut consumption with weight achieve. Common consumption of almonds can also be related to decreased threat of coronary heart illness thanks partially to the plant sterols present in almonds.
Is Cauliflower Low Carb?
Yep! A 1 cup serving of cauliflower has solely 5 grams of carbohydrates and a couple of grams of fiber. For these trying to decrease their carbohydrate consumption, utilizing cauliflower rather than larger carb meals like rice or pasta is a good technique. Will and I make cauliflower “rice” usually and incorporate that in recipes for normal rice. These are a few of my favorites –> cauliflower fried rice with tofu and spicy tempeh stuffed peppers.
What are shallots?
The dressing for this salad requires shallots. It wasn’t till lately that I began utilizing them and I like them for salads!Shallots belong in the identical plant household as onions however have a milder taste than common white or purple onions with a touch of garlic taste.
I like utilizing shallot vs uncooked garlic/onion in salad dressings as a result of it provides nice taste however isn’t as overpowering. Shallots develop in clusters like garlic, however are the scale of a small purple onion. You possibly can normally discover them within the produce aisle at most grocery shops. In a pinch, simply substitute the identical quantity of finely chopped purple onion for the dressing on this salad.
Extra Scrumptious Recipes You’ll Love
Roasted Cauliflower, Feta, and Lentil Salad
Commerce in your conventional greens based mostly salad for this hearty roasted cauliflower, feta, and lentil salad with a easy lemon French dressing.
Forestall your display from going darkish
Make the Cauliflower
Preheat the oven to 400 levels Fahrenheit.
Chop cauliflower into chunk sized florets. Toss with olive oil and spices in a big bowl and prepare in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes or till cauliflower is tender and browned. Put aside.
Make the Lentils
Whereas the cauliflower bakes, add lentils and broth to a small saucepan. Convey to a boil after which decrease warmth in order that lentils come all the way down to a simmer. Simmer till lentils are tender (~15 min). Drain off any broth when you’ve got any left within the pan. Put aside.
To assemble your salad, add the cauliflower, cooked lentils, almonds, mint, parsley, pomegranate, and feta to a big bowl. Drizzle with dressing. Toss effectively to combine every part collectively.
Serve instantly or retailer within the fridge for as much as 3 days. Tastes nice packed as a salad to take to work for lunch!
- Add extra shade to the salad by utilizing a colourful cauliflower as a substitute of a white one.
- For optimum browning, don’t line your sheet pan with parchment or a silpat mat.
- To make this dairy-free, use a vegan feta cheese or serve with out the cheese.
- To make this nut-free, miss the almonds.
- Don’t like almonds? Use chopped walnuts, pumpkin seeds, or pistachios as a substitute.
- Don’t have shallot? Use finely chopped purple onion as a substitute.
- Salad will retailer effectively within the fridge for as much as 3-4 days in an hermetic container.
Serving: 1/4 recipe | Energy: 471kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 16g | Fats: 33g | Saturated Fats: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 5g | Monounsaturated Fats: 21g | Trans Fats: 0.003g | Ldl cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 362mg | Potassium: 913mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 630IU | Vitamin C: 81mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 4mg